This week I replaced the rest of the artwork in the game with my own creations. This included backgrounds for the welcome window, the menu, the win game scene, and the lose game scene. Some components of these scenes were animations (some created this week, some readymade). I put the “super computer” progress, in the form of a puzzle-like monitor design, on the game canvas.
In the original game the player is tested by the “boss,” a large rabbit that chases the player. To prompt the question, the player must jump on the Boss’ head. I created the running animation for the hacker and replaced the boss with the hacker. There were some differences in the replacement process between the hacker, the mouse, and the characters, but with some pointers from my colleagues I was able to adjust the script and integrate the hacker into all three levels of question tests.
Since the group had recently changed the storyline there was a new character to create; the hacker. This is the person that broke apart the important supercomputer which the mouse (player) is trying to collect the pieces of. This week I designed and created a sprite sheet for this scary villain.
Additionally, I wrote up some more facts and questions as my colleagues put them into the script.
This week I went through the same process of book and player replacement as the past two weeks. Since it was a recently acquired skill, it started slowly at first, but once I had done the same process around 10 times it became easier.
Books on levels 2 and 3 did some things none of the books on level one did; hovering instead of resting on a platform or sailing through the air across the screen. I thought that wouldn’t make sense for the scientist characters (as the animations had them walk) so I created a few new sprite sheets from the scientist templates.
It was even more difficult to replace the orange rabbit (player avatar) than the books. The mouse needed many functionalities and the rabbit had many functionalities to look through. Eventually I was able to create a fully functioning mouse that has different animations for idle, running, and jumping, with the ability to turn around and proper physics.
When reconnecting with my colleagues at Brooklyn College, they informed me we were using GitHub again (as opposed to unity cloudshare). I tried branching the project, adding my animations, and pushing to the master repository. I was met with a slew of errors. It seemed as if my version to pull had thousands of changes, and was thus unable to merge. I tried other ways of pushing but only seemed to make things worse.
This week I began replacing the “books” with the independently created “people,” in our official game copy. The books function as a prompt to display a fact (information that correlates with the questions to be asked) so the people will do the same. I made independent sprite sheets for all 12 characters, moving their feet and arms to resemble walking. Then, in the game, I added an animations folder to them and edited their animations/controllers to make a complete set of scientists. Then I took a look at the books. It was difficult to figure out how the functionality of the books were implemented; I was not part of the games initial development process so this was new territory. I decided to watch some more sprite tutorials to help but found nothing I didn’t already know.